Sunday, November 25, 2012

Joe Coventry & Linda Logan-Condon



Two weeks ago, I attended the opening reception for Joe Coventry and Linda Logan-Condon at The Watermelon Gallery located in the East Mountains. I had already fallen hard for Coventry’s paintings a few months ago while visiting the gallery for another art opening. However, on this evening I had the pleasure of meeting Logan-Condon for the first time and admiring the breathtaking photography of her travels around the globe.

East mountain resident and professional travel photographer Linda Logan-Condon says, “After a long and successful corporate career as a trainer, executive coach, facilitator and organizational development consultant, I am having a love affair with travel photography. I’m an idea woman, a pioneer, a woman on the edge, a women filled with wonder and discovery. I have traveled to many parts of the world and have learned to marvel at the "firsts" in my life...the first time I saw my child's face, the first time waking up in a new country, the first time hearing an unfamiliar language, the smell of a new destination. What a gift it is to view the world anew with each turn of the head and touch of the hand.” Logan-Condon has exhibited her award winning photography both state wide and nationally since 2008.



Joe Coventry, a nurse for almost thirty years, has also been an artist since the age of four. He says, “I've painted all my life. I have to make art, it's not a choice, really. It's more like food or water, something nourishing but something I can't live without! I use color and texture and to me a painting has to elicit an emotional response, good or bad, and that really speaks to our interconnectedness as humans. I'm an expressionist and this comes through whether I'm painting a portrait or something completely abstract. Art touches us on a very deep level and reflects our spiritual nature. It creates happiness which is essential for peace. I am at my happiest when painting.” Coventry’s paintings so moved me that I simply couldn’t resist buying his piece titled, “Upon a Blue Wing.”

While your extended family is visiting for the Thanksgiving weekend, take advantage of this opportunity to share with them what New Mexico is best known for: exquisite fine art. Joe Coventry’s mixed media and Linda Logan-Condon’s photography will hang through the end of November at The Watermelon Gallery, 12220 N. Highway 14, Suite B, Cedar Crest, NM, 505.286.2164, www.thewatermelongallery.com, Fridays through Sundays.