Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Path to Enchantment ~ photography by Kate Livingston

Art can be found anywhere. Typically, I spend the first Friday of the month cruising Albuquerque eager to attend the ARTScrawl. This month, however, I was enjoying a tuna melt sandwich at the Cheese & Coffee Cafe one Saturday afternoon when I was seated directly in front of a stunning exhibition of photography produced by Kate Livingston. The title of the show intrigued me. When I inquired about the genesis for her series, Livingston explained, “I get very inspired by exploring new places, especially the spaces between towns that are more wide-open, and unusual little side-of-the-road attractions that you’d never experience if you took an airplane instead.”


Originally from New Hampshire, Livingston lived in Philadelphia for about seven years before moving to New Mexico in 2011. She hasn't looked back since. Livingston says, “I love traveling and building my scenic photography collection. There is something incredibly refreshing to me about New Mexico and the Southwest that I can’t really describe. I feel closer to the Earth, and that is what I hope to show in these photographs.” The places featured in this photography series range from Albuquerque, New Mexico all the way to Livermore, California. Livingston says, “For me, they represent a new way of thinking, a breath of fresh air, and adventure.”

Livingston got her first camera when she was just eight years old. The very first photo she took with that little 110 film camera was a shot straight at the sun from outside her grandmother’s house. The afternoon sun was just above the tall pine trees, and the rays of light created rainbow colored sun flares that spread to the edges of the photo. Livingston still cherish that 3 1/2” x 5” print to this day; it symbolizes what she stand for as an artist: true beauty doesn’t have to be found by following the rules. After college graduation, Livingston managed a Ritz Camera shop and then worked for Olan Mills Studios for a few years. She currently works as a photographer for Kyle Zimmerman Photography in Old Town Albuquerque.


My Path to Enchantment will run through the end of November at Cheese & Coffee Cafe Downtown, 119 San Pasquale Avenue, Albuquerque, NM 87104. Cafe hours are Monday - Friday, 10am - 3pm; Saturdays 10:30am - 2:30pm. (505) 242-0326. http://www.cheeseandcoffee.com